Sunday, March 24, 2019

Update - 03/24/19

For those that are new to this blog...these posts are my own ideas and are done on my own time.  It is not part of the agency I work for (National Weather Service).  However, since I do a lot of presentations for livestock and crop producers, I felt it necessary to periodically update folks of what is going on weather-wise.  But, since this is done on my own time outside of work, I find it difficult sometimes to post more than once every week to 10 days.  It is what it is.

The active weather pattern continues across the high plains, obviously!  Will it ever slow down enough to get field work done?  In some areas that is happening, but only slowly.  The latest weather system to impact the central U.S. was weakening and had already moved into the midwest as of early this morning.  The latest upper level map from Saturday evening shows the system as the red "L"...



The system did produce a fair amount of rain!  The map below is amounts as of yesterday (Saturday morning) but additional precipitation fell since then (that map was not available as of this posting).



Since October 1, the percent of normal is staggering!



There may be a brief lull in storms for the next week to 10 days, although there will be some scattered precipitation. 



It won't be getting too warm though so drying will be slow.  However, with the sun angle increasing substantially over that period, normal temperatures will be getting higher!  There still won't be those really warm days to get that soil temperature up and those soil temperatures will remain below normal for this time of year (but improving).

Another cold shot should arrive by this coming weekend that may knock down temps again.  I'll see if I can get another update in by the end of this busy week I have coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment