Friday, March 25, 2016

Update 03/25/16

In the last post I did on Monday, the post title mentioned discouragement.  You can read it here.

Every day into the spring that the pattern doesn't "behave" as expected, I'm getting just a bit more discouraged and pessimistic.  Ugh.

After the monster fire that engulfed over 400,000 acres this past few days from northern Oklahoma into south central Kansas, we could really use some moisture!  There are a couple of weak systems that "should" be strong enough to bring some.  The Weather Predicition Center offers this solution for precipitation through the end of the month.

 
I really don't like that much of the high plains is going to get missed again.  Yes, some spots will receive some beneficial moisture but it's not enough!  Then, there will be big upper level storm develop across the western U.S. next week. BUT, it will likely weaken as it moves into the plains.  The result, will be much warmer weather, but a lot of wind too.  Unfortunately the majority of the precipitation will occur across the eastern plains with that system.  I'm afraid that there will be a few days again of very critical fire weather conditions.

As we go another day without much precipitation, the "D" word is creeping back into the picture.  Here is the latest drought monitor assessment:


BTW, in that previous post I discussed the cold that had occurred over the weekend.  K-State put out a nice article (Google it on-line for e-updates from Kansas State) that had a few temperature maps from the mesonet stations. 

 



With a very full schedule, I may not get this blog updated until later next week or weekend, but I'll try.  By then, I hope I see favorable changes in the pattern (for a wetter spring).

No comments:

Post a Comment