Friday, March 20, 2015

Update 3/20/15

The small weather system that brought widespread precipitation to Colorado, New Mexico, southern Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas on Thursday had rapidly moved out of the area by late in the night.

Unfortunately the program I use to generate maps for rainfall is malfunctioning today, so I can only post the following for the western part of Kansas.

There were good rains that fell into Texas and Oklahoma too!  There is a product available from http://water.weather.gov/ahps/ that shows accumulated precipitation based on rain gauge reports and radar.  However, it appeared that radar output from around the area was over estimating due to what we call bright banding (see an explanation of bright banding by clicking here).  I'm not sure, but I hope the folks making the product will adjust down a little bit.  We could not find any reports of 1.5" to 2.0" that is depicted across southwest Kansas.  (click for a large version)


I won't go into any detail as I'm short on time, but the Climate Prediction Center released the U.S. Seasonal Drought Outlook.  It might be a little optimistic.  I'll come up with a spring precipitation outlook as soon as I get some time. 

Finally, I'm still confident of a major cool down in April with a hard freeze still likely.  I'll update that outlook too sometime next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment