Saturday, February 25, 2017

Quick update 02/25/17

This will have to be quick.  I've been swamped again but should have time next week for a more in depth review of the atmosphere and outlook.

As expected this past storm impacted areas north of Kansas producing an significant blizzard across Nebraska and into Iowa and the upper midwest.  Kansas and the panhandles as usual got the wind. There was a few light showers around Thursday (and a few snow flakes Friday) but nothing of any significance.

Looking at the satellite image of the eastern Pacific...


What a mess of the flow!  There is a lot going on but I'm afraid the eventual weather for the high plains will be much of the same.  There was an upper low (the red L) and several strong upper level circulations (the red X's), but as these systems eventually move out into the plains there won't be much organization aloft,  There should be a small storm about mid-week (late Tuesday or Wednesday) that will bring a lot of wind again, colder temperatures (after a brief "warm-up") and some precipitation.  But I'm afraid that amounts of precip (whether it's rain or snow), won't be a lot. However, it's at least a chance or opportunity and I guess any amount will be better than nothing at all.

Here is the potential for precipitation through the 4th of March from the Weather Prediction Center, and it looks reasonable.


Later in the week or by Saturday there should be another surge of cold (below normal) but that too won't last that long.

I'll go into a more detailed look in the next post and start discussing the spring and summer outlook. I'm not liking what I'm seeing, but hopefully I can find some hope before I make the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment