Saturday, October 7, 2017

Quick post - 10/07/17

I wish I had more time to post but it's not possible, for now.  Since the previous posting I did on the 26th of September, there have been several rounds of precipitation across the area.  Some locations got too much rain (flooding 4 to 6 inches rains in one event and more than 10 inches in the past 2 weeks), others did not get much nearly as much.  But that is the nature of convective events.

The storms that moved through late Friday (6th) unfortunately brought high wind and large destructive hail to some areas.  Other locations got a lot more rain again.  Some not so much or nothing.  Again, that is the nature of convective precipitation.

Here is a map of rainfall over the past 14 days....(click for a large version)



You might be hearing talk about a freeze this coming week.  Indeed a cold shot will be dropping across the plains (not unusual for early-mid October) but I'm NOT seeing a widespread freeze.  I'm sure there will be low lying areas that get down to around 32 and I'm sure there will be some frost at some locations. But it's not going to be a widespread killing and growing season ending freeze.  I still think (as I have posted about the past month or so) that the first widespread season ending cold will be later in the month.

Although there will be scattered showers Sunday night or Monday with the cold front, amounts will be light.  Then we should see a drying trend the remainder of the week.

I'll be at the 3i Show this next week and doing a table top exercise early in the week.  So, I won't have a chance to update this blog until the following week.  The "new" weather pattern is getting established now (and into November) so I'll be gathering some thoughts on what to expect going into winter and into next growing season.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment